Progesterone in Oil
Progesterone in Oil is an intramuscular injection containing the hormone progesterone. You will likely start progesterone in oil just after your egg retrieval for a fresh embryo transfer or several...
Progesterone in Oil is an intramuscular injection containing the hormone progesterone. You will likely start progesterone in oil just after your egg retrieval for a fresh embryo transfer or several days prior to your transfer in a frozen embryo transfer. Taking this medication will cause the lining of your uterus to be in sync with the developmental stage of your embryo so that it will be able to support an embryo after your transfer. The hormone is also given to help maintain a pregnancy in the first trimester. There is more than one type of oil that can be used to make this medication. If you have a preference or an allergy, speak with your doctor. Progesterone is a hormone that your body makes during a natural cycle to prepare the uterus to support an embryo and to maintain an early pregnancy. Due to medications and treatment during your cycle, your levels of progesterone are unlikely to be high enough to do what progesterone normally does to a woman's body. Therefore, you will need to take the hormone after your retrieval in order to reach normal progesterone levels and cause your uterine lining to thicken in preparation for your transfer. Progesterone can be prescribed in a few different forms: An intramuscular injection, a vaginal insert or a gel. Your doctor has likely asked you to use a combination of these delivery methods in order to get the best results in your progesterone levels before your transfer.
Step 1: Gather your supplies, and wash your hands
- You will need: Vial of progesterone in oil, 3 cc syringe, 18 gauge 1 and 1/2 needle for mixing, 22 gauge 1 and 1/2 needle for administration, alcohol pads and a sharps disposal.
Step 2: Draw up your dose
- Pop the cap off of the medication vial and clean the rubber stopper with an alcohol pad. Let it air dry.
- Insert the needle into the vial and pull back on the plunger, drawing up the amount of progesterone in oil your doctor prescribed. Withdraw the needle.
Step 3: Prep your needle
- Using the cap, twist off the mixing needle. Attach the administration needle by twisting it onto the syringe. Holding the syringe with the needle up, tap the barrel of the syringe and press on the plunger until a small drop of medication appears at the tip of the needle.
Step 4: Pick your injection site
- The best place to administer this injection is in the upper left or right butt cheek. You can switch off sides to reduce soreness. Clean the site with an alcohol pad and let air dry.
Step 5: Administer the injection
- Holding the skin taught, hold the syringe at a 90 degree angle and insert it all the way in your skin.
- Push down the plunger until all the medication is out of the syringe. When done, withdraw the needle. There might be a little bleeding afterwards so don't be alarmed.
Be sure to dispose of the needle in the sharps container. You did it!