Pregynl is a medication containing human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) used...
This med has 7 steps. Swipe to navigate.
Step 1: Gather your supplies and wash your hands
- You will need: vial of powdered Pregnyl medication, a vial of sterile diluent, a syringe, a 22 gauge 1 and ½ needle for mixing, a needle for administration (based on your injection type), alcohol pads, and sharps disposal.
Step 2: Mix your dose
- First, pop the caps of the two vials and clean the vials with an alcohol pad. Let them air dry. Insert the needle of the syringe into the sterile diluent and flip the vial upside down and draw the prescribed amount of diluent into the syringe. Withdraw the needle when you have finished.
- Then using the same needle, insert the syringe into the Pregnyl powder vial and expel all of the sterile diluent. Swirl to dissolve the powder. Flip the vial of dissolved Pregynl upside down and draw the medication into the syringe. Withdraw the needle.
Step 3: Prep your needle
- Remove the mixing needle from the syringe using the cap and twisting it off of the syringe. Consult your regimen to confirm what type of injection you are doing because that will affect what size administration needle to use. Once you have confirmed, twist your administration needle onto the syringe.
- With the needle pointing, tap the barrel and gently push the plunger until a small droplet of liquid appears at the end of the needle.
Step 4: Pick your injection site - Intramuscular
- If you are doing an intramuscular injection, the best place to administer this injection is in the upper left or right butt cheek. You can switch off sides to reduce soreness. Clean the site with an alcohol pad and let air dry.
Step 5: Administer the injection - Intramuscular
- If intramuscular, holding the skin taught, hold the syringe at a 90 degree angle and insert it all the way in your skin. Push down on the plunger until all of the medication is gone and then count to three. Withdraw the needle.
Dispose of your syringe in your sharps disposal. You did it!
Step 6: Pick your injection site - Subcutaneous
- Measure 1-2 inches below your belly button and off to the right or left. Switch sides with each injection to help relieve any tenderness that develops. Using an alcohol wipe, wipe off your chosen spot and let it air dry.
Step 7: Administer the injection - Subcutaneous
- Using your thumb and index finger of one hand, take a pinch of skin at your chosen spot. Using the other hand, hold the syringe and needle at a perpendicular angle to your belly. When ready, confidently and firmly push the needle into your stomach all the way. Once done, push the plunger down steadily, making sure it's all the way down.
- Once empty, pull out the needle and release your pinch of skin. If any bleeding happens, use a piece of sterile gauze to apply pressure. Don’t rub the injection site. If discomfort continues, you can use an ice cube to numb the injection site.
Throw the needle and syringe away in the sharps container. You did it!